Skip to main content

Fatshion 101: Dresstinations by Lilly in Italy

I wish I could tell you that I photographed every outfit and found the perfect background for each OOTD while on this lifelong dream trip BUT phones broke, I was fighting a cold, carrying a heavy camera and trying to soak in all of my "go to happy memories" for later-later (ready my previous post ;)

Allora, it was just nearly IMPOSSIBLE and dare I say, just not a BFD...

That's not to say that I didn't get some great pics ;-) some of which you can check out on my IG and my IG highlights.

Traveling to Italy was a lifelong dream trip come true and when Vinh first told me we would be going, the second thought, after thinking holy shit bells, was, I can go shopping for spring early!

Well, I shopped til I dropped and then, because I'm so smart, I checked weather afterward; my heart sank when the forecast said 30-40° and showers!

Yall know I love the rain but I had to rethink all of my outfits and all of my packing efforts!

We bought backpacks with enough space for all of my dresses and skirts but packing jackets, sweaters, scarves and beanies came a little harder.

Well, I packed "just in case" outfits in addition to my actual outfits.

The first day in Rome, we arrived at 11am-wish and were at our hotel by 1pm BUT I felt fatigued, and I, regretabbly, didn't sleep at all on our flight so as soon as we got to the hotel, I wanted to take a nap.

The problem is I can't take naps- I ended just going through all stages of sleep so 8 hours later, our first day went to sh*t. Well... Ish... Cause the first restaurant to kick off Italy was marvelous! No menu! We just ate whatever grandma made! And it was delish!

And I have to say my favorite part of Italy is there love of food and their disregard of calories, gluten, cholesterol, and blah- blah- blah! We live in a society consumed with "healthy eating" that pushes the skinny agenda; Italy only has one agenda and that is a LOVE FOR FOOD!

I am a person, who happens to be fat, who struggles to understand why some people STILL make it a point to be MEAN by insulting fatness to my face; by now if you read my blog or follow me on IG, you know that I love myself, and that I embrace all body types!

And even if you don't know me, what do you gain from being mean - I say this because while in Venice on our gondola, our boat guy made a joke about me being a seal in Italian, so I looked back at and said what do you mean - in Italian, to his surprise -

Listen, derogatory remarks about being fat are mean spirited and the funniest part is that they think it bothers you, it's especially funny when they think you don't speak their language whether linguistically or in their pathetic attempt to be shady... #ThatsAReadBoo

Still, I struggle to comprehend why continue to be mean when kindness costs nothing. Allora...I guess it's one of those serenity prayer things, where I have to accept the things I cannot change... But I digress...

Our nap meant I wasted my first #OOTD... When we woke up, we went to dinner and I didn't have the energy to get dressed and dolled up so I wore my traveling fit and went sans makeup!

I wore these boots on the plane with compression socks (because they took up too much space in my suitcase) and I instantly regretted my decision BUT they look super cute tho ;)

The following day we had brunch at
Scampo located in Piazza Campo de' Fiori  where we also bought our umbrellas and the husband bought some lemonade/orange juice making contraption.

Then we made our way to the attempts the Trevi fountain and the Spanish steps (but before that, we got lost for an hour and that was fun; I got to practice my butchered Italian, but we made our way through)

I wore this light jacket from Target and this pullover from JCrew and I paired them with my favorite jeans and my walking boots.

The day's forecast was some sun with an 80% of showers in the late afternoon so we were up at the crack of dawn to experience as much as we could.

We got hungry on our way to the Spanish Steps and we found this cute restaurant,
the umbrellas where a bit of a schtick but still super adorns! 


I love stripes, a classic boat neck, and a bold necklace. I also wore an infinity maroon scarf from H&M in case it got cold. (Easily stored in my bagpack) 

This photo was taken after our horse and carriage ride and also
following the death of S6 RIP Sixy Thang, yes my phone had a name
I try my best to not repeat outfits within a month, within a week let alone within days (Because I like to keep it creative and make sure all my fits go into rotation and get a chance to play, when you grow up limited clothes, you learn to get real creative, and that skill has stayed with me into adulthood;-)!

As I was saying, BUT with unexpected snowy weather, I had to rely on this wool sweater from HM majority of our days in Rome. I paired it with my denim jacket, my pleather jacket and hubby's green rain jacket - I changed shoes and scarf and shades and it was like a new outfit each day!
At the Forum while we waited to check-in to our second hotel, La Griffe and
these Sam Edelman rain boots were a life saver! Only $20 at Nordstrom Rack

I didn't feel like combing my hair when it was snowing so I paired the wool sweater with my
pleather jacket and the hubby's jacket and this funky take on where's Waldo beanie

When it got too hot to wear 3 million layers,  I had to make sure I still had an appropriate OOTD
The trick to dressing yourself for unexpected weather is packing several pieces that can be added and removed  - which is why I over pack!

When we got to Florence the climate wasn't as cold but good lordy it was wet! On and off, so I counted on my rain boots majority of our time in Florence. And I couldn't wait to wear this dress with a long striped cardi (not photographed but you can check out the video on my IG highlights) -


And how about this hotel room! I LOVED the hotel's aesthetics, not my usual taste but still pretty cool! And the service was fabulous (honestly, the service was awesome everywhere we went
 but this hotel: Room Mate Luca was exceptional)

Florence was truly beautiful, its streets, its shops, and its restaurants - And I felt these pants met their perfect match at La Menagere. 



Our last stop was Venice and we spent a day and half - on the first day I wore a dress layered with a sweater (I had my traveling outfits on for the trip, since we were on a train quite often and from Florence to Venice, we were on the train for a little over two hours)


 The outfit above is a jumper (photographed here) taken from hot weather friendly to cold weather appropriate by layering it with a green velvet sweater, pleather jacket 
and a scarf to keep me warm. 

So like I said before, I didn't get to photograph and that's okay... Cause I got to share this little bit of them with you all!

That is all, 

'Til next time-

Toodles!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FML... I Totally Forgot it was Monnday Today...

I hope everyone had a restful Memorial Day weekend. Mine was jam packed with major accomplishments and lots of love! So much so, that I forgot today was Monday and that I needed to write my blog... And for consistency sake, I am writing to let y'all know to come back June 1st for a Wedding Update...   And that I am thinking about adding some kinda fat girl's guide to feeling and looking good, at least once a month... Every 1st,2nd or 3rd post... I want to try out this challenge I found on Instagram from the Aussie Perth Curvettes! Check 'em out I love theirr Instagram and their blogs! I'm not becoming a fashion/style blog by any stretch of the imagination... BUT I do enjoy looking good and feeling good about myself. And I haven't lately and that is a major part of my anxiety these days. I have been beating myself up and I want to make sure that at least once a month I highlight my many positive attributes! I am also in the middle of planning another trip...

Fatshion 101: Lilly is Nucking Futs and...

Biscuit Home in Houston, Texas If you didn't already know (shame-on you because I've written about some of my mental-health struggles) about 6 years ago I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder; To put it in layman's terms I am a constant worrier and trust me, I am putting it lightly. My anxiety monster makes its appearance when money, family, and an overwhelming sense of responsibility overcome any "logical" way of thinking and as much as I love traveling,  my anxiety flares up the most during travel. About 10 years-ago, we went to Nicaragua for New Years and I became overwhelmed, manic, with a sense of an impending death, I purchased life insurance, left letters for loved ones and notes about funeral arrangements. Obviously, I didn't die not unless I did... And this is an alternate universe.. Whoa! That's be trippy... Any who, when our trip was over, I was happy to be home and secluded myself until school started. I sought to reclus...

Fatshion 101: Learning to Live with Intent and Balance

Note: I started writing this blog in March while on our way Home to the Happiest Place on Earth ---days before resigning from my job of six years... I’ve always enjoyed my time sitting at a desk looking out a window… Which is probably why as I sit thousands of feet above the sky I am inspired to pull out my laptop (That I’ve packed to finish work emails – on my day off)  but  as I type those words- I’ve chosen to f*ck that sh*t – I am going to use my laptop to blog! I am a little  conflicted on where to start –  I’ve had these thoughts, these words, this blog on my mind for a long time… (Clears throat: it has been well over a year since my last blogpost) I haven’t written for fun in ages and I know myself well enough to know that I shouldn’t have taken such a long break from journaling/blogging (Friendly FYI – I maintain a handwritten journal in addition to my blog) But even before the summer 2019 I stopped all forms of journaling completely – I insta-s...